Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Remember that book that we read as kids, about the young red headed kid, Alexander. My daughter loves that book. We read it every night before bed. As I drove to work this morning, Alexander's words of frustration whirled through my head. "This is going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!"
It was a gray, and wet fall morning. The rain was falling hard and wet golden yellow leaves stuck to my windshield. I couldn't find my tiny umbrella. A line of school buses wrapped around my daughter's elementary school parking lot. Kids were running in, splashing through puddles, papers over their heads to absorb the rain, a few kids carried umbrellas. My daughter and I sprinted to the school door, t-shirts draped over our heads, drenched in matter of seconds. I cursed under my breath and Haley giggled.
I kissed her goodbye, not to see her until Tuesday evening. It's a dad weekend. :(
I drove to work, my clothes cold and wet, sticking to me. I rang water out of the bottom of my pants and stuck my sweater in the dryer as work. Ryan brought me dry clothes to change into. He was one so sweet! I felt like a new woman, fresh and dry.
I had class today and the room was stuffy, the rain falling against the old thin windows, thunder shook our desks. I went home to nap between my afternoon and evening classes and woke up sweaty, but cold. Driving a few miles to class, I had to turn around, feeling nauseous and achy. Ryan had a bed made for me on the couch, with my pillow and favorite blanket. He put the chicken noodle soup on the stove top and I've retired to the couch for the evening. I hope I feel better tomorrow because we are short staffed at work and can't really miss. Ryan and I are going to watch our show Supernatural.
I've realized that even though terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days happen, the people that care about you and take care of you make those days bearable. Now it's time to go sip on some ginger tea. Tomorrow is a new, day with the possibility of sunshine, and renewed health!!!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Tomorrow is now today and we are going to work out at the gym together. So cheer up, my friend, today is another gloomy day, but I have the hiccups and those only come from laughing and laughter is good so bring it. And don't call my daughter a monkey...her name is Jessica. Haha.